Friday, January 16, 2009

He's got to be fresh from the fight

Okay - so the pilot minimized damage and loss of life. It is super awesome that there were no major injuries from a plane crash in a major city. I, too, was caught up in the glory.

However, I must question how other pilots would have reacted. It is a profession that requires major training of unfavorable situations. I have to guess that the deathless crash had more to do with favorable circumstances than the pilot. It is super awesome that it wasn't piloted by the ~15% (completely arbitrary number) of pilots that would have freaked out and fucked it.

But it is my guess that the extreme reaction to this situation is a mild overreaction from a populous desperate for a hero.

I'm reminded of the questionably bad movie, Enemy At The Gates - where the Russian Publicity Commander is asking what should be done to lift morale during the siege of Stalingrad. Nazis are bombing the city to hell. His associates say they should execute the failing generals as an example but Joseph Fiennes says the country needs a hero - and goes on to create a hero out of a moderately awesome person.

Thank you and hats off to Mr. Sullenburger - both for saving lives and for providing a critical distraction to our escapist-addicted nation. You may now fuck Rachel Weisz.

2 comments:

c-wren said...

Worth commenting. My father worked for Pratt Whitney while in college. He says that one of many things he did was clean up the meat after a chicken was thrown through a jet engine to simulate "bird strike".

Anonymous said...

Rachel Weisz, really? Another reason to get my pilot's license. I'm guessing she'll still be hot to me in 20 years.