The store had a bunch of overpriced rock posters and ironic tees and such. I had little interest in their wares, but if you're stuck in a store for a while you learn to build interest in what you would otherwise find dull.
The rain just wouldn't let up so we ended up spending quite a long time there. Me a little more than the others I was traveling with.... I looked up and all of a sudden none of the people I knew were around. They had evidently decided to brave the weather and I had missed the departure.
Curse my patience and ability to amuse myself!
Once I realized I was alone I gathered myself. The advice of "if you're lost, just stay where you are" echoed in my mind. But upon inspecting a map I saw that there was only one obvious route from where I was to the front gate. Plus I didn't have full faith that they'd a) notice I wasn't there or b) realize where they lost me - so I stoically began my trek - unsure of how I was going to get home.
I was the image of control and composure as the early teen version of myself trudged through the rain.
Until I saw the adult leader they had sent back for me.
Once I knew I was safe I broke down and cried like a bitch.

No comments:
Post a Comment